All press is certainly not good press – and we saw numerous examples of that this week. From the White House to the NFL to your local yoga studio, PR reps have had the hands full this week as they take on the hazardous world of crisis communications:
- Not so Miami “Nice”. The NFL’s Miami Dolphins are in the midst of an apparent bullying crisis – raising questions about hazing around the world of pro sports. Dolphins PR has been using Twitter and Tumbr to post updates on the escalating situation.
- Rob Ford: Crack Smoker. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford took the mic this week to admit what he had been denying for months, in what a PR exec. called "…one of the most unconventional and mind-boggling communications strategies that I've ever seen in my life."
- #IPO. After a highly successful first day of trading, what does Twitter's IPO mean for communicators?
- Obamacare rollout big business for PR firms. Tens of millions of dollars are being spent to promote, and now defend, Healthcare.gov.
- Lululemon leaves a sour taste. More bad press for the yoga-wear giant, as founder Chip Wilson blames quality control issues on size of female wearers.